Re: Holly Red Fuel Pump Failures

To: ZUKPJ86@aol.com
Subject: Re: Holly Red Fuel Pump Failures
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 12:05:29 +0000
ZUKPJ86@aol.com wrote:

> Wow!
> At least with the OEM tiger pump, I 've usually been able to get home with a
> few stiff smacks to unstick the breaker points! If you practice your back
> hand enough, you can do this from the driving position!
>
> Good luck,
> Paul in PA

Paul,

Loved your SU reply.  I feel about the same.  When I had my MG-TD MKII, in 1952,
it had dual parallel SU pumps, rather than the previous single.  That way you
had
no idea that a pump had failed until they both had failed.  Couldn't ever get
the
design concept clear on that one.

Used to carry a "bumpershoot" in the "boot" (area behind the seat).  When the
car
ran out of gas in the high speed lane of the freeway, I would grab the "tool",
jump out of the car, fling open the latched, hinged right side "bonnet" ( next
lane - high speed traffic!) and give the pumps a good thwack until they started
clattering.  Then shut and latch the hood, jump into the driver's seat (deftly
avoiding the speeding cars on my right, and the curses of the line of stalled
cars
behind me), crank  it up, and tear away at a good 60 miles an hour (some 20
seconds or more later).  If I had the windshield folded, I would really have
been
in tough shape.

{9->

Don't we have fun? The Jag XK 120's pump was nicely hidden under the floor
boards,
and much more difficult to get to, even though the 0-60 times were much better.
Fortunately, that one didn't fail.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/