Re: Roll Bar

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roll Bar
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 09:27:58 -0800
Tym,

I highly recommend the roll bars that Dale Akuszewski makes. He puts a
forward angle on the pipe that goes over your head, which permits more
height and gets it away from the back window. He can also supply it with an
added brace (removable if you like) that goes from the top to the
passenger-side floor next to the tunnel. This adds protection, plus
stiffens the chassis a bit. You might also want provisions for anchoring
shoulder harnesses or for three-point passenger car style safety belts. Of
course, the roll bar probably won't do you much good in a rollover accident
unless you are wearing at least a four-point shoulder and lap strap setup.
I think SCCA rules require at least 2" clearance between the top of your
helmet and the top of the roll bar too.

Bob

Robert L. Palmer
UCSD, Dept. of AMES