Re: Roll Bar

To: "Dr. T. Y. McDowell" <tym@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Roll Bar
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 01:41:49 -0800
Guys,
     I have a roll bar given me by (I believe) Curt Fischer (thanks again
Curt), which was supposedly an early CAT bar.  A very clever design, though
in need of development in it's present form, it theoretically doesn't
interfere with opening the Mk. 1 soft top doors, maximizes the width of the
cross bar and (with some judicious tube bending) should stay out of the way
of both the seat adjustment range and your head in a rear ender.  This last
assuming of course that you've installed the custom fuel cell that Jim's
going to announce any day.
     The two main posts of the bar come down just in front of the B post of
the car @ each side, just towards center from  the sheet metal ridge that
the furflex (or whatever finisher is there) mounts on.  There is little
alllowance on the the posts right now to attach to anything, but I'm sure
that some flanges and a welder could solve that.  But the body there is
either frame rail or boxed sections that closely attach to the frame.  The
question:   is that a good or bad idea?
     Most bars I've seen mount on sheet metal on the back shelf which, even
with the reinforcing stock, could be expected to give and/or stretch in a
bad roll, these points might not.  From a safety standpoint, would it make a
difference?  Thanks....

                                                            Chris Hill