Re: Doors and windwings

To: larry.p@erols.com
Subject: Re: Doors and windwings
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 15:09:04 -0800
Thanks Larry.  I'm just about done with the car.  So, I don't know how many
more things I'll have to offer.  But, feel free to ask.  Those doors are
tricky.  For what it's worth, what the SAOC guide says is to put in
everything lose (which is also a trick in itself to get it all in), line up
the front windwing, as I've gone through, then the back channel, then, with
the hardtop or soft top up, roll up the window and use the rear brace for
the window scissors to move the back up and down to get the top parallel to
the hardtop or soft top rail.  I tried that but actually found little
movement in the rear brace.  Fortunately, it seemed ok.

Also, in case you didn't notice, I had lots of problems with the rear
track.  I found that the fuzzy felt that SS sells was too thick and once I
put it on the track and just tried to slide it along the glass - even out
of the car - it was too tight.  I pulled it off and replaced it with some
thick durable pants-like fabric - in fact it was from an old pair of pants!
My dad said he had no problem with the stuff SS sold him.  I have no
explanation.  Just give it a try before you try to assemble it all in the
door.

Also, putting that Dynomat up inside the door really does make a big
difference in the "thud" of the door.

Finally, don't forget to hook up that lock piece that connects the door
handle to the lock before snapping on the door panel - as I did!!!!!  Dang.
Well, I really never lock the doors anyway, and if I find that I do end up
having such a need, I can always pull off the panel again.

Jay