Flukin' & Temperature

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flukin' & Temperature
From: Richard F Flynn <rflynn@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:13:34 +0000
Can anyone comment on how accurate a Fluke temperature reading would be using
that thermocouple bead probe (80PK-1) that comes in the same box as the Fluke 78
automotive meter?  (I know the Fluke is nice piece of equipment, its me I'm
worried about.)  Basically, I was playing with my new toy (Fluke 78) and got
stable readings using that probe against the radiator waterpump inlet pipe, the
manifold by the sensor, etc.  The readings definitely stablised (at about
110F-120F above ambient shortly after opening the hood/bonnet just after a few
laps around the block if you must know) and were repeatable, but since I've
never tried this nor seen anyone take readings, let alone with that wire probe,
I'm not sure how close I am to truth.

In anycase, I would appreciate any comment the list can make.  I was seeing
stable temps of 180F at the radiator inlet pipes with an ambient temperature
around the car & at the grill of 65F'ish.  Readings near the sensor on the
manifold were about 160, but that area was pretty gunked up, so I'm not too
confident about those.  For the record, my gem of a temperature guage was
showing 210F'ish (just off of the 100C mark, so I'm guessing 210F'ish).  Reading
the stadard +30F off true?

Thanks in advance,

rick