engine start-up advice

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: engine start-up advice
From: Curtis Fisher <Curtis.Fisher@trw.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 21:29:25 -0800
Newsgroup, I am about to start my Ford crate motor for the first time.  It
is a production motor that came down the same assembly line as 5.0 motors.
I bought it as a long block and added induction, exhaust, ignition and
accessories.  When you first start a new motor, what is the recommended
procedure? (not driving, just in the car) I've read Haynes, Chiltons and
heard other advices. Should I run it 20 minutes on the first start to
properly 'condition' parts like the cam and other?  Folks at the Mustang
Ranch tell me 15-20 minutes at 1,500-2,000 is the minimum or I'll
improperly break in the cam, Speed Merchant said 20-30 minutes (at 2000).
Haynes does not have any precautions other than monitoring for noises. Can
you advise me and others about the correct method and rationale?  Looking
forward to your advice.
Curtis in Santa Clara
B9470844