Re: "Hillman - " MTBE

To: jeyerman@ix.netcom.com, TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Subject: Re: "Hillman - " MTBE
From: SloMoIV@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:47:19 EST
In a message dated 3/23/2000 8:09:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jeyerman@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< This message forwarded by the Hillman List.

 MTBE has turned into a disaster for New Jersey.  It seems that MTBE can find
leaks that gasoline can't-hundreds of underground storage tanks are leaking
MTBE's into New Jersey's water supply.  The good news is that some of the
wealthiest towns in the state cannot drink their water (it actually smells of
the stuff).  When the politician's best friends, who donate millions of
dollars to their campaigns, complain to them about MTBE's.... surprise....
the EPA suddenly discovers that MTBE does not do any good and will be phased
out in 2 years.  Had the MTBE"s only polluted the drinking water of middle
class or poorer people, we would still be having the stuff rammed down our
throats (literally).

 Jan

"60 MInutes" carried a feature on MTBE about a month ago.  The stuff doesn't
necessarily find leaks that gasoline can't - it just doesn't break down like
gasoline does.  MTBE has found its way into numerous lakes and public
drinking water systems from Jersey to California, and it may be just the tip
of the iceberg, as it sounds like municipalities are just now beginning to
worry, and test their systems for MTBE.

Dick Sanders
Seattle