Tires

To: Tiger Email Network <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tires
From: Stu Brennan <sbrennan@master.ncounty.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:01:55 -0500
I recently sent an inquiry to Continental about the tires I have on my
Tiger.  They came on the wheels I bought a couple years back, and their
history was unknown.

I figured that there was about a 50% chance that I would ever get a
reply, never mind a prompt one, but about 1 business day later the reply
arrived.  Continental is tied in with General, and my inquiry had gone
to their US HQ.  They said the date code appeared to indicate that they
were made toward the end of '89, but they were contacting Germany (where
they were made) to confirm.

The tires have plenty of tread, and show no damage or cracking, so I
then inquired about age related degradation..  Their reply is below:

                 Although the tires seem to be in good shape, I
certainly
would advise that you keep a very close eye on the tires and be very
careful when driving above the recommended highway speeds. Tires are
made
up of organic materials that are subject to the weather and the ravages
of
ultraviolet light. Tire manufacturers only warranty tires against age
conditions for a period of 4 years for that reason. If you chose to ride
on
these tires please check them often for any signs of corrosion and be
alert
while driving(especially at high speeds) for any ride disturbance.
Please
contact me with any further questions.

                              Thank you