Re: Tiger parts from MGBs

To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tiger parts from MGBs
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 21:39:56 EDT
James, etal,
    Every MGB I have worked on used Lockheed brakes: Lockheed "Brake Survival
Kits" fit the '66-'67 Sunbeam Minx, and do not fit the Series Alpine with
Girling calipers.  The Minx/MGB (Lockheed) version rotors are thinner and
lighter which may mean the calipers are narrower.  It is possible the later
Fastback Chrysler Alpine and late MGB have common parts.  The bolt pattern
for the calipers is the same which makes me wonder...
    The Lockheed calipers as used on Minx/MGB do not use the soft rubber
"gaitor" outer piston seal.  In roadracing, these seals on Girling calipers
have a very short lifespan, and become potato-chip brittle, and then turn
into a crispy powder, but on MGB's the pistons are exposed which allows them
to cool better.
    The Sunbeam Minx with it's Lockheed disk brake system does not use a
power servo, yet the car weighs about the same as an Alpine and they have
excellent brakes.
    MGB's were (and may still be) raced in the US in SCCA E-production for
many years, and all around the world.  The SCCA GCR (rule book) does not
allow an optional caliper in this country, but did anyone elsewhere make an
aluminum bolt-on replacement caliper for MGB?  Has anyone tried Lockheed
calipers on an Alpine or a Tiger?  ...just thinking out loud.
Jim Leach   PTC  Seattle