Re: Steering column Cover

To: Donovan Smith <donscr8@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Steering column Cover
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 21:56:38 -0400
At 10:46 PM 4/18/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Listers im trying to put in my steering column cover s,the molded black
>plastic pieces.
>but i cant figure out where the bottom screw goes,where that screw might
>fit i could feel nothing on the column itself that had a hole? also i'm
>having some weird clashing noises when i try to back up or go forward ,
>could be the clutch if so whats the latest on the best way to remove the
>clutch,i'm having a repair shop do the work?
>
>please help
>
>Thanks, Don  Smith

Don,
        Apparently you are missing the metal bracket that that
is normally bolted to the upper plastic piece with 4 each 10-32 screws.
The bracket is 1 1/4" long and fits around the steering column.
There are "wings" 7/16" wide that two 10-32 screws pass through.
In the bottom middle there is a rectangular hump with a pal nut
(sheet metal nut).  The screw of the bottom plastic piece
joins here.  The screw hole is lined up with the rearmost
(away from the dash)mounting holes in the bracket.I will attempt
to "text" draw the cross section of this bracket:

                      hump (with screw nut)
                     ******
                     *    *
           wing *              * wing

   This is fairly close considering my drawing tool.
This drawing is upside down from the normal mounting.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others