Radiators

To: "Melusky, Bob" <bmelusky@netscape.net>
Subject: Radiators
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:45:02 -0700
Mark, Alan and Bob,

I had copied this right of the web page, but it must have caught the
html code as well, and got bounced from the list server.  Sorry, Mark.

Allan, my copy of YOUR original may come back to me for the same
reason.  I will edit and forward as soon as it does.

Steve

Bob,
Here is one of many I have generated.
As far as water pumps are concerned there are a number of choices,
assuming you've still got the original block.; Sunbeam Specialties sells
an
Aluminum replacement pump, but the casting is more rough than the
original. Most use this. There may still be some Ford units left. If
you try to buy one at a parts house you will have problems with fan fit
(if you still have the big hole in the center) as the Tiger fan mount is

mounted in reverse from the original, and is very close to the neck.
Edelbrock sells a very high performance unit, for a good price (FOR
THEM),
and it's available polished for even more,; It is the one for the
Hi-Po engine, and the pulley to back dimension is close to the Tiger
number.

However, the aluminum stock Ford pumps had open back impellers, whereas
the later iron ones had a steel plate. The timing chain covers were
the 'back plate' for the aluminum ones, and the iron pump chain covers
may have been different.; Check with Edelbrock on this point for their
Hi Po special.

Since I'm the source of the info on this Modine core, and
apparently the info I got from the core itself is
insufficient, I called up my builder, Commercial Radiator
Service, 864 Los Angeles Ave., Simi Valley, CA 93065.
He was gracious enough to supply additional information
that should aid your quest.

He stated that these radiator cores were indeed ordered thru
their special order department. That is not to say that
they manufactured tubes and fin assemblies just for him, but
that they took an existing product design (run) and made it
to the size required from the class core material desired.
The most important point is to get the basic core form their
"High Efficiency Core" (HEC) line.; He recalls, but won't
swear, that these are 5/16 tubes on 3/8 centers, and were 4
rows.; The dimensions of the header end plates are, of
course, made to match the Tiger tank dimensions.; A job for
your radiator shop to specify, as well as the distance
between headers for the tanks, as he has the original.

And,

Steve Laifman wrote:

Stu,

My previous communication; gave the approximate dimensions I
could measure, and these are MY measurements, only as good
as my ruler and counting:

Replace original, or older design 4 row, with new
high density, high performance radiator.; Same thickness as original 3
row, and
requires no mods of tanks.; Modine H 69 H Cross flow.; 18 1/2 W x 15 1/2

high. Four parallel rows of tubes, 36 tubes/row, each; 3/8 inch deep by
0.080 wide externally. 14 fins/per inch fin density. This is about
$300, built by radiator shop, and well worth it."
Well, 3/8 is pretty close to 5/16. His number was as he
remembered, and mine was as good as I could measure. They
probably don't step them that closely anyway. The core is
just slightly thicker than the original 3 row, and a good
deal thinner than the older four row, so the tanks and
shroud fit very well.

Hope this helps.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman
B9472289

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/