Re: Air Cleaners

To: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Subject: Re: Air Cleaners
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:48:58 -0700
"Wright, Larry" wrote:

> >Although the K&N filter helped smooth out the hp curve
> >at the upper limits, the tuner said that it was very restrictive,
> >since the height of the filter is so small.  A taller filter would help
> >it breath, and of course the jets would have to change as well.
>
>         Somewhere in the archives is a post from me asking that question;
> good to finally hear the answer -- except that it now means _I_ have a
> problem, using the K&N in a stock housing.
>
>         Lawrence R. Wright
>         "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"

Larry,

If you are 'breathing' that heavily that you need more surface area, you can
still use your stock air cleaners.  The issue would be using the same K&N
filter element diameter, but taller.  This will fit your air cleaner, though
you may need a longer center post, and certainly a LAT hood.  The LAT hi-rise
F4B, Holley 1800 series 4 barrel, stock air cleaner ends, K&N filter from
Sunbeam Specialties, and a flat nut will just clear a stock hood, using the
crumpled aluminum foil gauge technique, and allowing for motor torque rock.

If you want the same height, so you keep the stock hood, an after-market air
cleaner will be round, and may drop down around the carb to give you more
filter height.  You will be limited in diameter by the firewall and the
down-slope of the hood at the left and right forward corners of the stock air
cleaner, not at the center post.

You could get slight paint rubbing with a 1/4 inch Boss 302 PCV breather tube
plate, as my carb had none.  Removing the washers from the engine mount will
lower the engine a bit, but if you've carefully cut down an expensive 6 blade,
irreplaceable new Canadian Ford fan, you will be re-shaping it with the
steering rack. {8-<

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/