Timing lights

To: "'tigers@autox.team.net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing lights
From: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:46:45 -0700
I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new tool.  My timing light is > 20 years
old, works great for setting the timing at idle.  So, what's the deal with
the newer timing lights?  Can you really read out the degrees advance on the
better models?  I'd really like to know what the advance is at idle and when
it is fully kicked in, say at 3000 rpm.  My harmonic balancer is mostly
covered with rust and has a white line on it.  Short of pulling the thing,
cleaning it up and putting a timing tape on it, I don't have a good way to
even trust where that white line is.

Anyone got a recommendation on a make and model.  Looked at one at lunch
today over at Kraegens.  It was $106, displayed dwell, rpm and advance.

Thanks for the help,

Dave