Re: rad

To: Chris Vaught <CVaught@hawaii.rr.com>
Subject: Re: rad
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:33:33 -0400
Chris, the Mercedes antifreeze is formulated to meet certain standards,
so that the pH does not go as high as other formulas from even the same
manufacturer.  While I can't remember the major brand manufacturer, I
did call the tech people 4 years ago, and asked what they did and why.

They gave me a very detailed description and explanation about their
formula, additives, etc.  The extra cost is for the formula, and I
expect the markup by Mercedes.

The bottom line is that with alum in the antifreeze circuit, it is
better to have the lower pH and additives, i.e. the antifreeze spec'ed
for Mercedes in your car.  With an alum radiator, even more so.  The
cost is about $8/gal vs $3-$4 for other manufacturers mixtures.

If you use 2 gallons, that is an extra $8 dollars.  Is it worth it?

Since I don't change the antifreeze that often, I pay the extra money
for the product and protection.  I was a very doubting Thomas before I
call for the tech info.

Larry