Bleeding order

To: tigers@autox.team.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Bleeding order
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:18:30 -0700
Bob wrote:
>Steve Laifman just pointed out to me that the order I
>gave for bleeding the brakes is at variance with the Rootes
>Manual, which says to bleed the left front caliper first.
>This seems illogical to me, so I presume this order
>refers to right-hand drive cars.

I believe the RHD and LHD Alpines have the same piping.  The only logic I
can offer, at least from looking at the Alpine configuration, is the flow
of the fluid at the "+" junction.  The master cylinder feeds to the top of
the "+" junction.  The left front caliper is the one that takes the fluid
from the bottom of the "+".  So, if there is air in the line, the first
thing you are doing is pushing it straight down, without any 90 degree bend
that might slow it down or catch up the bubbles.  Other than that, it's
probably 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

I know I've been shown to be wrong about fluid dynamics before - by Bob
himself - but, since he is stumped, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Jay