Re: ignition problems

To: JPKKMK@aol.com
Subject: Re: ignition problems
From: RSpontelli@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:23:25 EDT
<<As I am driving along the car will suddenly lose power and die. If I turn the
car off and back on it will start up again.>>

Patrick,

Our Mk I has played that game twice over the years.  The first time it was the
fuel pump.  The second time it was the ignition switch.

When it was the fuel pump, it would sputter a bit and then die--like as if we'd
run out of gas . . . DUUUH!

When it was the ignition switch, it would just die right now--like as if I'd
reached up and turned the key to the off position . . . DUUUH!

In each case, it would restart with no problem, and run OK for a few
days/weeks/months.

I hope that helps, but whatever it is, you need to find it and fix it fast.  A
car that dies intermittently like that can be more than an inconvenience--it
can be a major hazard if it happnes just when you are in need of some
"motorvation" to get yourself out of a "situation."

Ramon