Re: timing

To: <DJoh797014@aol.com>
Subject: Re: timing
From: "Chris Vaught" <CVaught@Hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 17:19:43 -0700
today i tried to tune the carb as you and the holley book suggested. i
connected a vacum gauge to the manifold and went to work. i discovered the
idle screws 3/4 of a turn out. i do not know where they ended up but it was
more like 1 1/2 out. i pulled 15" of vacum at an idle. it was steady with
very little pulsating. i take this to mean no vacum leaks. you mentioned
getting roasted standing over the engine. mine is like i opened a oven at
450 degrees. so maybe i have a vacum leak. how do i find a vacum leak. i do
not think my secondaries are open. i pressed on the firmly and the did not
move. they look to be shut. i will read the holley book to see what it says
for their setting. i did use a contact pyrometer to measure the delta temp
across the rad and it was 0. i thought it might be the water pump but as i
have said before when i pour water over the rad it does cool down. the air
that is being pulled by the fan is also hot so i know there has to be a
delta temp. i think the rad is just too little for the engine. timing is at
6 at an idle with the vacum line unhooked and plugged. i am running a
mallory unilite. she is running cooler then when i started but not enough.
thanks
for the help
chris in hawaii