RE: [Fwd: Paint code]

To: "'Laifman@flash.net'" <Laifman@flash.net>, timinvan@fox.nstn.ca
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Paint code]
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:10:46 -0500
Steve and Listers,
                Steve said, "I Recommend polyurethane paint by PPG in there
best grade.  I wouldn't
                use a clear coat over anything but a metallic paint (damn
few Tiger's), as it just doesn't look right on solid colors, and there is
some problems with touch-up and repair.

                I am not sure what you mean by "problems with repair" but I
will state that perhaps with PPG there may be problems with repair but for
best hold out and UV resistance you definitely want to put a coat of clear
over any solid color. It will preserve the depth of color and avoid
chalking. Some older clears (in my opinion) that PPG had were very yellow
(Delclear and early DelGlo) and would affect color slightly so perhaps that
might be the reason for Steve's comment. As far as new repair techniques go
you very rarely get a butt match. Using a coat or two of clear permits great
repair-ability by providing a way to blend color into an adjacent panel for
a perfect match without spraying the entire panel with color. You then apply
clear over this adjacent panel and it will "seal" the blended area and
ensure a UV safe blend of color. Sikkens clears and products, while able to
be blended with or without clear, are recommended to be sealed with clear to
ensure adequate UV protection for a lifetime guarantee. Without the clear
any blended area is susceptible to a UV aggravated peeling condition at the
area of the blend. The only negative that I can think of with clear is that
on dark colors small abrasions appear "white" and may be more visible than
non-cleared cars until you buff out the scratches. With our Autocryl line
(We only have one "grade" of Sikkens) you can in fact tint the clear with
some color in a very diluted fashion to minimize the white scratching effect
and still get the high luster of a coat of clear.
                As far as recommending PPG paint my gut instinct being the
Sikkens guy is that our product is far far far superior and why would you
want to use PPG. The fact is that it (PPG) is a good product too and as long
as you have a choice regardless of which product you use I would recommend a
clear coat perhaps tinted with some of the color you use on the car. (you
would need to check with PPG to see if they can do this though)

                Just my opinion,
                Best regards,
                Tim Ronak
                AKA "The Sikkens Guy" Fiercely loyal to my company.....today
anyway.