Re: Puke Bottle and Air Dams

To: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Puke Bottle and Air Dams
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:56:18 -0700
Larry,

I bought my 1/2 size coolant recovery system from Pep Boys.
It's made by the same company that makes the full size, and
fits between the stock surge tank and the radiator. Works fine
- if that copper outlet tube is soldered / brazed to the
filler neck of the of surge tank inlet. Mine was swaged
loosely and would not hold the partial vacuum created on cool
down to bring the fluid back in. The radiator shop was able to
solder the connection in place, with some paint touch-up
required. I would not use the cap that comes with it, but get
a good quality 13 - 14 lb. recovery type. I am using a Stant
Lever Action type, to allow the release of pressure if I ever
am forced to it.

If the exchange volume exceeds the 1/2 size, and it should not
if things are working properly, a second one can be shoved up
in the left fender, snuggled between the inner fender well and
headlamp bucket. The plastic top, which can't be reached,
should be sealed in place. I used a glue gun! The inlet lines
should be “T’d” at the lowest level. I found an existing
opening (or drill one) above the front suspension inner fender
well, and a nylon “T” can stuck thru from the engine side,
allowing a connection and a continuation path for the engine
compartment one to the tank outlet. A plastic coolant funnel
from Prestone is handy for filling the bottle (or the tank),
and use some twist ties across the plastic filler cap so you
won't loose it. Stainless safety wire is probably over-kill,
and tie wraps too permanent for coolant addition. You could
use a few thin tie wraps to loosely hold the cap to a fixed
mount, so it won't get lost. They are always trying to escape!

The overflow on a single installation is the same as stock.
For a dual, you can have two overflows, or join them together
with another “T” somewhere convenient.

These are cheap units (about $5), and do the job. You can tell
if you did it right if the surge tank is always full, instead
of half full, and the clear coolant tube connection is always
filled with coolant. If not, there is an air leak somewhere.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/