RE: FW: windscreen, side windows, and hard top

To: "'Larry Paulick'" <larry.p@erols.com>
Subject: RE: FW: windscreen, side windows, and hard top
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:02:40 -0500
Larry,
Glad to hear things are moving forward. I went out and measured my roof and
here are some measurements in inches (I thought about doing it in metric
just to confuse the Americans on the list ;>) ) The distances are as good as
I can measure with the roof installed.
Start at the fixed point at the edge in front of the trunk that is the
opening for the roof (Sail panel)
Base of clear window 4" to the edge of the sail panel.
Rear bow center (side to side and of bar) 21" to the edge of the sail panel
Pivot bow center to center of the rear fixed bow 9"
Center of pivot bow to rear edge of header with protective edge in place
24+1/4"
The roof fits pretty well but the Robbins top does not line up perfectly
with the rear fixed bow and the seam is not directly lined up over the rear
bow. I thought about bending the bow to line it up but it is very strong and
I assumed that the "new top" was wrong and not the top bows. It lines up in
the middle but at the ends near the edges of the roof it seems that the top
has too curved of a seam and if it was straightened out a bit it would
follow the contour of the rear bow perfectly. It is definitely satisfactory
but since I was lining up "everything" I kind of hoped it would line up too.
I did shorten the "original???" pivot bow tension strap (a off white
cotton-ish woven material that is NOT stretchy) to the rear bow as
originally it was too far forward at about 9+3/4" and did not line up with
the roof seam. I also replaced the stretchy strap over seats with something
I obtained from a furniture manufacturer. It is exactly what I took out but
I am very sure it is not the original stuff. Except for the light tan color
it does, however, do the job.
When I get more time or if you need better specifics Larry give me a shout.
I hope to buy a digital camera soon and then I can document some of this
stuff visually.
Best regards,
Tim Ronak