Re: Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits

To: Hal436@aol.com, Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 07:42:48 -0700
Hal,

With some care, it is possible to rebuild most cast aluminum hydraulic
cylinders. The bore needs to be brought to a very smooth, even shiny
surface condition. I use Scotch Brite and finish of with Never Dull. Some
people have good luck using honing tools, but be careful not to use one
that leaves a coarse finish and don't take off any more than you absolutely
have to. I wrap some finer grade of Scotch Brite around the honing tool to
start with and if the surface isn't scored or pitted too bad, this will be
sufficient. The cost of a rebuild kit is on the order of $5 and a new
master cylinder, if it's available will probably cost over $100, so it's
worth trying to rebuild the old one. If you really want to do a good job
that will last a lifetime, have the cylinder sleeved in stainless or brass.
There are many places that do this commercially that you can locate in
Hemmings, etc.