Re: Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits

To: Hal436@aol.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Kits
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:29:19 -0700
Hal436@aol.com wrote:

> I need some assistance !
>
> A friend of mine has recommended that I  do not use a rebuild kit for the
> Clutch Master Cylinder on my 1966 Tiger.  He states that since the unit is
> made of white metal there is probably excessive pitting and it  will have to
> be replaced within a short period of time.  Is it a wise decision to attempt
> to rebuild the unit ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information
>
> Hal Jean

Hal,

Well, it is made from cast aluminum, as are your wheel cylinders, disc brake
cylinders, master cylinders, and servo.  It is true that the surface can pit
from corrosion, as can the old cast iron type, mostly from moisture absorbed by
the hydraulic fluid.

I don't know what your friend has, but very few cars come with stainless
sleeves, and most other materials suffer from moisture in the system, which can
be prevented by regular flushing, and the correct Castrol LMA fluid.  Some use
synthetic fluid, with pro's and con's too lengthy to discuss.

It is a financial, rather than technical, decision.  If the walls are not so
badly pitted that a honing will clean up the surface without excessive material
removal, then it is a relatively inexpensive fix. New units, however, are still
available for all but the disc brakes and the servo, although replacement
servos from Lockheed are available at around $300.

A better design solution is the use of brass or stainless sleeves for the
bores.  This can run about $65 per bore (sleeve only), and is available from a
number of sources:

Apple Hydraulics - New York (800)-882-7753
Power Brake Sales - http://www.powerbrakes.com
Karp’s Power Brake Service - http://www.resleeve.com

The web links are listed on the "links" page of  http://www.TigersUnited.com

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/