Re: Looking For A Trans.

To: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Looking For A Trans.
From: randya@pacbell.net
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:17:04 -0700
Steve - One of the other Tiger listers described the installing a T-5 as
part of a
302 setup.   If you want to stay quasi-original, you can put a T-5 behind
the 260
or a 5 bolt 289.   This is what I did.  This is the easiest way to go if
your 5 bolt
engine does not need rebuilding.  Basically, you have to do is remove the
top loader,
install a 5 to 6 bolt trans adapter plate (about $200 from aftermarket
mustang
suppliers), and cut a notch from the crossmember behind the trans to
support
the new shifter position.  You can even use the original clutch slave and
drive shaft.
I purchased a T-5 shift handle which looks like the toploader shift handle
just to try to
keep the look more authentic.

If money is a factor and your 5 bolt needs rebuilding, then it's probably
cheaper
to go with the 302 setup, unless you plan on rebuilding the engine
yourself.

I believe that regardless of which option you choose, you have to have a
rear trans
mounting bracket fabricated.  Paul Reisentz can do this for about $75.  The
piece
he made for me had some fit problem, but he is the only supplier that I
know of..

If you buy a T-5, make sure you do some research first.  The older models
were weaker, and were replaced by the "World Class" T-5.  If you decide to
buy a newer one, there are about 15 models to choose from, with various
gear ratios.  I bought the Cobra model, which is clearly beefer than the
standard
models.  I vaguely recall that you need a model with a longer input shaft,
if you
are going to run it behind the 5 bolt.

Good Luck, Randy Antosiak

BTW, the T-5 is a great set up in the Tiger!