Tiger Temperatures

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Tiger Temperatures
From: Hal436@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:52:04 EDT
I am now in my third month as a happy Tiger owner, but it appears that I may
not have done all of my homework prior to my Tiger purchase.  Of course, I
was fiercely dedicated to getting a Sunbeam Tiger/Alpine as I had a 1960
Rapier at one time.  Discussions  on the list concerning  Tiger engine
temperatures has unintentionally given me paranoia over this matter.
Discussions with members of local Roadster clubs have tended to confirm the
attitudes of these list discussions.  Temperatures are now consistently in
the 80/90 degree range in Southwestern New Jersey and I am beginning to
question the wisdom of going more than 10/15 miles from home for fear of
overheating.  My Tiger has 55000 miles on it and the
engine/transmission/clutch, etc. were re-built by the PO at 47000 miles in
1986 so the engine should be in good shape.  The cooling system is original
and un-modified. The highest reading on the temperature gauge on a 90 degree
day was about 200/210 when idling in local traffic.  Should I do nothing and
just be aware of the fact that Tigers (apparently) tend to over heat or are
there preventive measures that I should take to avoid future problems.  I
have seen references to electric fans, custom radiators, etc on the list, but
I really do not want to cry wolf.

(Car is 1966 Tiger, B382000704 unmodified and unrestored)

Any assistance/support as usual is gratefully appreciated and acknowledged.

Hal Jean