inquiry 070300b

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 070300b
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 08:28:16 -0500
        Over the weekend I had the GQ out for just a few miles, but I did
broach the 100mph mark for the 1st time in years. It felt OK at that rate,
no less stable than at, say, 60 -- but no better either.
        It got me to thinking about one modification I did _not_ do when
rebuilding the suspension, and that's the additional shimming of the rear
of the crossmember-to-car connection. I recall it posted that the car would
benefit from up to 1/4" in shimming using an aluminum plate. Question: does
this plate need to be tapered, or can a simple aluminum plate sized to match
the raised 'pad' at the rear of the existing shim, and with a slot cut out
to permit slipping it in past the bolts, be OK? An would additional bearing
area of using a hole (requiring removal, just loosening, of the rear bolts)
instead of a slot be a big deal?
        Also, would this require a fresh front-end alignment? I'm
visualizing the whole assembly 'rotating' around the front pair of bolts,
and cannot imagine that for a bit over 1 degree change that the camber and
toe would get wacky.

        Larry Wright
        "I can't get no-- Satis-Traction"

        Disclaimer: No statement is made or implied that I or my car
exceeded any speed limit on any public road. :^)