RE: [Lubricants]

To: "'bob melusky'" <bmelusky@netscape.net>, Hal436@aol.com,
Subject: RE: [Lubricants]
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:47:22 -0600
Dot 4, in general, is not the same as Castrol LMA. Castrol LMA is the
'traditional' hydraulic fluid of choice for Britcars. Using DOT 5 (silicone)
fluid in the clutch makes a lot of sense in my opinion. No moisture
absorption, and it's not like you're going to boil the clutch fluid from
overuse.
In the brakes I'd use LMA unless you had replaced all the component rubber
parts with DOT-3 compatible pieces (is this possible? Why can't we get
rubber parts that are happy with both LMA and DOT-3 fluids?). Then I'd use
the 550 degrees stuff that was developed for Ford disk brake applications.

Regards,
Theo