Re: Primer on Primers

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Subject: Re: Primer on Primers
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 20:39:00 -0700
"Ronak, TP (Timothy)" wrote:

> Tom,
> The purpose for most primers is to provide adhesion for the topcoat. The
> reason that we make a colored primer is to minimize the visibility of
> topcoat chipping when it inevitably occurs,
> Regards,
> Tim Ronak

Of course by "we", you mean your company's current practice.

It wasn't always like that. Many others had different criteria.  My Jag XK
120M, for example, had three layers of primer, each a different color.  I
believe the first one was a red lead with corrosion protection properties
(anyway it was red), except for the aluminum body panels, which were green zinc
chromate, and then two more different color primer coats before the paint.  The
purported reason was to allow the layers to be sanded smooth, without going
through them to the next one.  If another color showed thru they would send it
back for another prime and sand.  Hardly believe any manufacturer cares about
such things nowadays.

Well, that was then, and this is now. Orange peel is the rule, rather than the
exception, and every painter wears a space suit. The only "color sanding" the
car gets is if they sit on it to have lunch.  {9->
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/