RE: Power Valve

To: "'Bob Palmer'" <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>, Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Power Valve
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:47:08 -0500
Bob,
It would seem to me that there are 2 things at work here. Power Valves and
the Vacuum Secondary Diaphragm Spring.
The power valve (unless I am very rusty) controls the flow of fuel to the
main fuel circuit only as an on or off switch. While an engine that dips
below the value of the power valve at Idle will run "fat" and usually floods
out and dies, my understanding was that that was the extent of the
relationship of power valves in tuning. The correct valve is determined by
letting the car idle at its slowest idle setting 650-850 (SB 4.5-8.5in as
memory serves but I did a lot of high stall automatic cars) depending on
cam. Then drive the car starting in gear and watch to ensure that you never
go below that lowest value as a reading. Once you determine the vacuum at
idle choose a power valve 1 full range higher. Keep in mind that the term
"power" is a misnomer as it simply directs fuel to the main fuel circuit and
it acts like a switch either on or off with it preferably off at idle.
If you wish the car to "come on" earlier you need to install a softer
secondary diaphragm spring in the vacuum secondaries. This will result in
the secondaries coming in a little earlier. Another option is to play with
the accelerator pump cams to tweak the squirters to better suit the demands
of the engine under transition.
I hope that helps.
Best regards,
Tim