Stinko!

Subject: Stinko!
From: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:24:58 -0700
Hello Sunbeamers:
I might have finally found the source of the raw fuel smell and it may
be from an unusual source.

When I got the Tiger back from Tigers United I changed the breather hose
and the fuel filler hose & gaskets. No improvement and the car still
smelled like a refinery.
I figured the tanks have to come out and I'd do that when I paint the
car next month (I still may do that as I do get those black flakes in
the fueld filter).

This morning after backing the Tiger out of its parking space I noticed
a good sized puddle. Sure enough it was raw fuel. I had previously
tightened up the fuel pipes going into and out of the fueld pump, which
were leaking, and thought I'd solved at least that problem. This morning
I found a new source of another leak which was the "front cover" for the
pump, and that small nut that attaches it to the pump body. The nut had
worked a bit loose and a serious drip had developed, of course dropping
the fuel right on the muffler which nicely helps atomize that fuel into
a smelly cloud.

I finally got that tightened up and, although the top was down on the
drives to and from work today, I do not notice any more raw fuel smell.
I'm going to do another test drive tonight with the top up which will be
the real test but I'm hopefull this is it.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions to track this down. I guess the
moral is that when you have to tighten one screw or nut on an assembly,
always check the others at the same time.

Here's another question for the Tiger list. I'm going to change out the
motor from its pretty anemic 260 to a 289 or 302. What have you guys
done with a medium budget to up the horsepower and torque with a 289 or
302? Since I had my car tested with a "G-Force" device and it apparently
puts out a massive 158 net HP, I'll be real happy to get around 300 HP
or so. I talked to a Tiger owner today who had put in a 345HP Ford
Motorsport "crate" motor, cost $3400, and he was raving about how fast
it is and that it still idles pretty smoothly with a Holly 600. Of
course I wouldn't mind spending less if I can.

Regards,
Steve Sage