Re: Stinko!

To: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Stinko!
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:21:06 -0700
Steve,

The Tiger 260 is rated, according to the Shop Manual, at only 164 BHP
gross, 136 BHP net. I assume you plugged the Tiger weight into the G-tech
Pro, but does it also compensate for drive train losses that may be of the
order of 10-20% ? Or is it just coincidence that the G-tech and the
advertised BHP are only off by 6 BHP? It's pretty easy to get 300+ HP out
of a 260, but not without spending the better part of $3,400 - and a lot
more effort too. Is yours an original, matching #, unopened 260? The
arguments in favor of keeping the 260 are the originality factor,and the
five-bolt to six-bolt housing swap and the other pieces at the front end of
the motor that also need to be swapped that add to the cost and effort of
installing the crate motor. On the other hand, a 345 HP roller cam motor is
hard to beat and would be a lot more driveable than a 260 at anywhere near
the same horsepower. You can probably find a slightly used or even new one
at less than $3,400 if you look in the right places.

Bob