Smell Solved! (Pretty much)

Subject: Smell Solved! (Pretty much)
From: SJC Worldwide <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 00:08:58 -0700
Jane, Carrie and I took a 200+ mile drive in the Tiger today (with the
top up) up the coast from Woodland Hills to Santa Barbara and back I can
confirm  that the raw fuel smell I asked the group about is gone. The
final culprit was the puel pump "cover". held on by a small nut, that
had come loose and was dripping gas onto the muffler, the resulting
fumes being sucked into the car. On the trip to and from Grants Pass for
Tigers United the pump must have been just "seeping" enough to
occassionaly land a drip on the muffler but not enough, without close
inspection of the pump,  to notice that it was leaking. Just that small
ocassional drop was enough to make that drive miserable in the passenger
compartment. Fortunately, I noticed that gas puddle on the ground last
week and was finally able to track this down. Thanks again for all of
your suggestions. I forget who it was, but the guy who recommended I
again check the fuel pump wins the prize.

We still do smell that "musty" old smell from the trunk, though, and
that trunk does still smell a bit lethal. This is not that raw fuel
smell but rather, I guess, an accumulation of exhaust gasses getting
into the trunk. Any ideas on tracking this one down and eliminating it?
The trunk seal seems intact, although there is a bit of movement by the
trunk lid (if you press it) even when closed. Is this normal or should I
adjust it to close really tight?

Steve Sage
1966 MK1A