Re: Tiger Air Cleaner on eBay

To: Pete Stanisavljevich <pete_stanisavljevich@coxtarget.com>
Subject: Re: Tiger Air Cleaner on eBay
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 07:44:26 -0700
Pete Stanisavljevich wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Interesting commentary on $Kiwi and conversions from US.
> When I order from a foreign country (typically Canada or
> UK), I usually use VISA which always does the currency
> conversion for me, and is universally accepted by business.
> Makes the entire transaction easier.
>
> Never occurred to me that there could be a problem dealing
> with individuals and acceptance of US bank notes, money
> orders, etc.
>
> Personally I would feel uncomfortable sending that amount in
> cash through the mail, especially that distance. The world's
> postal systems has it's share of dishonest employees too.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter S.
> B9471799

Pete,

I wasn't recommending sending cash.  The USPS issues cash able
US checks (like a bank certified check), nut made out in the
denomination of the foreign currency of your seller's
country.  Still have the risk of non shipment, if your dealing
with a crook, but the fact he doesn't want to go to his bank
and try to deposit foreign currency isn't difficult to
sympathize with.  Try it!

Whenever I travel I always take American Express Traveler's
checks with me, and purchase some actual currency of the
country I am going to (England, France) just for the cases
where you can't use them.  Cabs, buses, tips.  Hotels and
restaurants have the worst exchange rates in the world, so I
use the charge card, they charge in their currency (marked
price), I may even get a VAT refund, and the credit card
company always gives me the best exchange rate.

For many countries you can get travelers checks from your
bank, but in the denomination of the country you're visiting.
If you have American Express Dollar checks, and don't go to an
American Express office, there is a fee for cashing it at
another financial institution, and lousy rates at other
businesses.  I got an English Bank's traveler's checks (in
pounds) from my local bank.  When I pulled out the "Travelers
Check" wallet the waiter said -"We don't take traveler's
checks!".  When I showed him they were in Pound Sterling, he
took it, and didn't screw around with the cost.

Steve