Re: Reverse toggle

To: "Leigh, Tim" <tim.leigh@pearce.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Reverse toggle
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 20:46:19 -0400
Tim,
        Been there, done that.  Block the tires to prevent the tiger
from rolling.

  Remove the screws that hold the dust boot and lift the Dust Boot.
Shift into neutral to allow easier access to the bolts.
Remove the two bolts that connect the gear shift lever to the
 rest of the gear shift assembly.
Lift the shift lever up and try not to misplace two steel buttons
and two springs that are in a hole on each side of the lever.

Remove the dust cover from the gear shift lever and clean all grease
from the bottom of the shifter.
        Use a welding torch to heat the braseing material securing the
solid wire in the center of the Reverse bracket at the base of the
gear shift lever.  You may have to streighten the solid wire if it
was previously bent at right angles to the bracket.
Remove the reverse bracket from the wire, try not to burn your fingers.
( This bracket may be spring loaded from inside the lever. )
Clean this bracket, including its hole down to bare metal.

Unscrew the knob from the top of the gearshift lever.  The there may or
 may not be a spring between the bottom of the knob and the top of
your broken "reverse toggle".  If spring is present, remove it,
( should fall out easy).
 The wire that you previously un-brased extends through the center
 of the reverse toggle.    The wire has a lump of pot metal as a stop
 directly above the reverse toggle.  Pull the wire out the top of the
gearshift lever.  Clean the wire end you un-brased down to the bare metal.
 The reverse Toggle is now free to be pulled out the
slot(s) in the  side of the gear shift lever.  There may  or may not
 be a long spring under the reverse toggle.  If so remove, clean and
lightly grease the spring and reinstall it.
   Install the new reverse toggle by slipping it through the slot
in the side of the gear shift lever.   If there was a spring  below the
reverse toggle then you may have to clamp the reverse bracket in the end
of the gear shift lever with a Vice Grip or similar tool.  Feed the wire
through the hole in the center of the reverse toggle.  Feed the wire
through the hole in the reverse bracket.  The pot metal stop on the wire
should be touching the reverse toggle top. Use the welding torch, brasing
flux and clean braseing  rod to re-secure the wire to the bracket.
If you have problems getting the brass to flow neatly, you didn't follow
 the cleaning instructions above.  Do not overheat the brass or the bottom
of the shift lever.
        Re insert the spring, cleaned and lightly greased(if exists)
 above the reverse toggle and replace the knob.  Note that a special
tool with two pins could be used to tighten the rounded stop nut on
the bottom shift knob.  Lock tite will also help keep the knob tight,
but it is difficult to get it off later.
        Clean the bottom of the gear shift lever, including the two side
holes.
        Replace the dust cover on the gear shift lever before or after
bolting the lever down. ( Depends on your dust cover).

 Clean and grease the two steel buttons and springs. Insert the
two springs and buttons into the pair of holes in the side of the lever
and hold with your fingers while you center the gear shift lever over
the two mounting holes.  Replace and tighten the two bolts to secure the
 lever to the rest of the gear shift assy.
        Spend the next 2 hours looking for the screws to retain the dust
 cover to transmission tunnel.  Re attach the dust cover to the tunnel.

        Shift into reverse, back out and away you go.

Unless of course you broke the wire while un-brasing it.  In that case find
a source of solid stainless steel wire of the same diameter and fabricate
a replacement.  Note that similar gear shifts from Ford cars may have
different springs, different wire size and length and shape of the shift
lever.

At 07:40 PM 9/15/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have an ex South African Tiger which I have owned for several months,
>fairly tidy but needing tlc.
>The reverse toggle on the gearlever (gearshift?) has snapped on one side,
>and although it still works it is a bit awkward. I have got a replacement to
>install, but how?
>This looks like one of those 10 minute jobs which end up taking the whole
>weekend. If anyone has experience of replacing the toggle I would be very
>grateful for some advice. Thanks.
>
>Tim Leigh
>B9480033

>The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the addressee.
>Unauthorised access and use is prohibited. Any opinions
>expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not
>of the Crest Nicholson Group, unless specifically stated
>otherwise.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others