Twisted Wedge Heads

To: "'Tiger News Group List'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Twisted Wedge Heads
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:07:13 -0500
Listers,
As I have said already I have managed to get some TFS Twisted Wedge Heads
from Theo (Theo gave my Wife a great deal and I got them for my Birthday ;>)
). I am going to be putting them on a 350 C.I.  - 1990 5.0 motor (The Lunati
EA31 Kit best price quoted yet is $3300 in Canadian dollars from Guyon
Racing). I have found out some rather interesting information about the
suitability of these heads for performance applications.
In contact with TFS I learned that the type of head that I have (Pedestal
mounted Rocker Arms as per Stock) are not suitable to performance cam usage.
In fact I was told that it is necessary to convert my heads to stud mount
and I need to send them my heads and have them drilled and tapped by them to
ensure that the geometry is correct as there is a compound angle to deal
with. They are very accommodating in this and only want to charge $100 US
and they include guide-plates.
Apparently the heads work fine with stock cams and stock applications but if
you move to a higher than stock lift cam you need to be aware that the head
"MAY" cause side loading of the valve causing the valve tip and guide to
fail prematurely. This is especially true if you use non-roller tip rockers
and incorrect length pushrods.
As far as I can tell it looks as though they are the ones to run and I am
really looking forward to getting all of the bits together.

Any Listers want to comment on what hydraulic roller cam I should run with a
carburetor in the 350?
Anyone want to comment on the cam to run in case I don't run the Lunati kit
and wind up building the 302?

Best Regards,
Tim Ronak
B382000680