speed and handling

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: speed and handling
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 02:37:16 -0700
Listers,
     Like several people who have written lately, I'm close to paint and
have to finally make some decisions on directions from here.  I am asking
two questions (a pair to begin the deluge the list may endure in the coming
months) and I understand they are reiterations of queries quite familiar.

          1 -- Strokers --
                    I am also in the low priced spread category of owners
and I want to know if anyone has any
                    experience with the Coast 347 kit (Street Fighter, I
think).  Someone asked this exact question a
                    few months ago, but I never noted other than generic
answers.  Those shy of publicity are welcome
                    to respond off-list.  I'm of course most interested in
history of durability, oil consumption, etc.

                    Also, has anyone used a 5-bolt 289 as a base for this or
any other 347 kit.  Solves alot of problems
                    with (not) changing to six bolt, but seems like I
remember something in the first days of kits about
                    slightly longer cylinder castings increasing the piston
contact problem?

           2 -- Ackerman angle fix --
                    Everyone talks about 'Dale's kit', MG steering arms,
etc. and I used ListQuest to run
                    down old discussions on this and still don't know
exactly what's involved.

                            -- how much in the way of 'dedicated' changes to
Tiger only parts must be made
                                  (in other words, I have a complete Series
V crossmember that is fair game, but
                                  I'm a little loath to unalterably change
the Tiger crossmember or steering rack)

                           -- can someone (draw straws!) give me a 100 word
description of exactly what's involved,
                                 where the parts would come from and perhaps
a ballpark on cost

                           -- is it worth it (a Road and Track kind of quest
ion, 'cute' and 'neat toy' are not valid criteria
                                 here)

As everyone does who comes before the Grand Council of Jedi Knights, I thank
all for their time and energy (even those who understandably deleted this
halfway through reading it).

Chris Hill