Re: Dist. Cap

To: rpalmer@ucsd.edu, larry.p@erols.com
Subject: Re: Dist. Cap
From: DrMayf@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 15:03:01 EDT
Great links! I'll spend some time reading and looking themover. As to having
fun, I spent the summer going to Bonneville and learning. I did happen to be
on hand at the World of Speed in which Tom Burkland drove his streamliner to
a new top speed for wheel driven cars and internal combustion engines (2 big
hemi's, blown). He ran 450 mph out the back door and was still accelerating!
Then he finished, pulled the chutes and they just evaporated. Blown to bits
and pulled the static lines apart. then 5.5 miles later he was stuck in the
mud. Took half of the night to get him unstuck. Could not make the return run
because of body panel damage, but what an awesom run. 360 + mph at the first
2 mile mark so this puppy was really accelerating. And the sound was
spectacular! You knew what was coming! And it was funny because at Speed Week
in August he could only get the car into the 250's. This car on terminal exit
was travelling around 600 feet/second! Lots of other good cars and runs also.
If any of you are near, then it is a neat week long holiday, either event. I
will not miss anymore. So yes I had fun. WIsh my car was with me and not in
Alabama...soon I hope..

mayf