Re: Speedo revs/mile

To: larry.p@erols.com
Subject: Re: Speedo revs/mile
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:48:57 -0700
> The speedo is a completely different issue.  It is not fixed by gears.  I
> know I am going to get corrected on this one.  But, this is as close as I
> know - and as always, I'm willing to be corrected.  Attached to the head
of
> the cable is a flat disk with a magnet.  This disc fits in a flat metal
> dish to which the needle is attached.  There is nothing connecting the
dish
> to the disk.  When the disk on the cable spins, it creates a magnetic
> force that lifts/turns the dish and the needle.  As the disK spins
faster,
> the force increases and turns the disH further.  In order to calibrate
the
> speedo then, they don't change gears, but change the amount of magnetism
in
> the dish or the plate or both.  There is also, I think, and adjustment to
> the resistance against the plate.

Ugh, look at that, I have to correct myself.   See the capitalized letters
that I switched (disk and dish were switched on one sentence).

For what it's worth, Mo-Ma says that I need a 45 tooth something or another
and that I already have a 32 tooth that mates with the 45 tooth.  She knows
she can get 41 tooth something or anothers.  32X45 = 1440, what I need.
32x41=1312, which would be about 8% slow.  But, she can't be sure until she
opens it up - and she was in a rush to meet UPS.  I'll have to talk to her
more later.

But, I just realized that doesn't make 100% sense.  I think she said the 32
tooth came out of the 1040.  That means that 1040 divided by 32 should give
what tooth thing a magig I have - but, that works out to 32.5.  Don't know
how they get a half tooth in there.

Jay