Mystery manifold

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mystery manifold
From: "Brian Moss" <BLMoss@Prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 22:28:32 -0500
Hi group.

I'm hoping that the list can solve something of a mystery for me.

I picked up an F4B manifold to replace what I assumed was the later,
much-maligned repop Tiger-lettered mainfold for ol' 598.  Once I had them
both in the same room, I realized that I'd I flunked my F4B
sight-recognition test -- I already had an F4B.  There are only three minor
differences between the two manifolds.  The new manifold has the throttle
linkage boss on the driver's rearmost runner (indicating it is a later
example, right?) and "Edelbrock F4B" cast into the two "highest-rise"
runners.  The manifold that came off the car has neither of those items, but
does have "Tiger" cast into the passenger's frontmost runner.  Otherwise,
they're pretty much identical.  All I can say in my defense is that I grew
up in the Performer/ Torker/ Victor era.

This is certainly not the earliest LAT manifold, and I did not understand
the later repop to be based on the F4B, either.  It certainly looks like at
least the pad for the Tiger lettering is cast into the manifold -- the
runner on the garden variety F4B slopes toward the edge, while the casting
on the Tiger manifold is level to support the lettering.  It also looks like
the lettering was machined out of the pad -- no perceptible gap betwen
lettering "plate" and the rest of the pad.

The lettered one seems to be a better quality casting from visual
inspection.  It also rings when I tap it, while the normal example clinks.
Hmm.

A couple of clues have been offered up so far.  One friend recalls a picture
of someone holding just such a manifold in a club newsletter, perhaps.
Another thinks there may have been a CAT-sponsored effort of this sort.

Any info would be much appreciated -- digital pics are available if they'll
help.

 Thanks for your time,

 Brian