Re: inquiry 121200b

To: theo.smit@intel.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: inquiry 121200b
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:04:03 EST
In a message dated 12/12/2000 3:54:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
theo.smit@intel.com writes:

<< A decent normally-aspirated Ford crate motor (or any other rollerized,
 aluminum-head 302) can easily push 400 hp. It also weighs about 75 lbs less
 than the original 260. Put an aluminum rad in front of it, and some decent
 front suspension components to further improve the weight distribution and
 handling, and I bet that mr. Turbo Miata would lose on all counts except
 perhaps aerodynamic drag and braking.
 Adding an intercooled turbo to an engine represents a minimum 50 lb penalty
 on the front end, and the Miata is no lightweight to begin with. Off boost,
 turbo engines suck (pardon the expression), so in any kind of road-course or
 autocross environment you're continuously left-foot-braking to keep the
 boost up, or else you have to try and predict exactly when the boost will
 hit as you exit the turns. Been there, done that... >>

I agree, 18 psi probably means a pretty big turbo, pretty big lag and a very
"non-linear" power curve...
However, Miatas do handle pretty decently, much better than any Tiger without
really extensive suspension changes, including geometry. In local SCCA
autocross activity, it is really hard to beat the stock class Miatas even
with my roller cam 302, konis, springs, posi etc. I guess twenty five years
of advancement is hard to beat.
However, the "all Tigers are POS" is completely off the mark....besides,
Miatas are "chick cars" at the bottom line!
Mike