Brakes - M cyl, Rear cyl questions

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brakes - M cyl, Rear cyl questions
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:18:44 -0800
Thanks to everyone for you input on the panhard rod. Since the rearend will
(finally) be going back in soon I need to be thinking brakes. I don't find
the concept of the Tiger's boost servo all that appealing. Currently my car
doesn't have one installed (but I do have an old 5", condition likely poor).
I have heard a number of concepts for non-servo setups. They include:

1. going to a smaller master cylinder size (similar in configuration to
stock).
2. using the Datsun dual master cylinder.
3. going to a larger rear wheel cylinder (Alpine?)
4. using the components from the rear of the old Mercury Capri.

I was poking around Pick A Part today and picked up a Datsun 710 master
cylinder. Due to the narrow - relatively short dimensions and bottom (not
side) line outlets it seems a good fit to add a dual master to the Tiger. I
did notice that some (the 310) came at 13/16ths, but the 710 and 510 (older)
came with a 3/4" bore.( I also found that the older RX-7's had a similar
configuration with the 13/16ths bore, anyone try this?) Knowing that the
smaller bore means less pedal effort I opted for the latter 3/4" Datsun.
What I'm looking to know is-is the 3/4" bore of the Datsun master equal to
or smaller than the stock Tiger cylinder (and where can I find adapters for
the conversion)?  Are the wheel cylinders from the Alpine larger than the
Tiger? Do the Capri wheel cylinders fit/work on the Tiger (there are more of
these at Pick A Part than Alpines)? Does ANY of this decrease pedal effort
and work effectively (less servo)? What about fluid compatability? Please
remember this is a very low budget project. I can't go the custom rear disc,
custom master cylinder, etc. I use hard work and adaptability to hopefully
improve, simplify, and economize. Thank you for any input you may offer.
Happy Holidays, Tom Witt