Re: Sort of Non-Tiger Help Needed

To: "Paul Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>, <Cushcom1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Sort of Non-Tiger Help Needed
From: "Steve Griffing" <bartdog@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 23:14:31 -0500
> >Listers: Don't want to clutter up the site this holiday weekend, but I
REALLY
> >need help sorting out a clutch problem on a 1972 TR6. The system is much
like
> >the Tiger, so maybe somebody has experienced a similar condition and has
> >tip or two.
> >
> >Here it is: Hydraulic master cylinder, line, clutch slave, clutch disc,
> >pressure plate, bearing, etc. all brand new (not rebuilds) and all
correct
> >(at least according to Moss Motors). But I cannot get enough pedal travel
> >disengage the  clutch. The pedal is on the floor, the system is fully
bled
> >and yet there's a full inch of throw left in the clutch finger. By
shimming
> >the slave back one inch I can get everything to work properly. But this
just
> >ain't the right way to do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
> >from the Tigerman

Okay, Take the tunnel out.
Then, take the tranny out.
You will notice a bolt that holds the clutch fork to the pivot arm.
I am willing to bet that this has sheared off.
I had a TR6 twelve years ago and had the same symptoms.
I checked with a Brit shop outside Norwich,CT(Stationed in New London at the
time)
They told me this was the problem.
I didn't see how but, took it apart and sure enough,
There was just enough bite to  move the fork a little but, not enough.
I replaced that bolt/shear pin and it worked great.
Sorry for going on but hey, It's Christmas Eve' and I'm feelin' chatty.

A Merry Christmas to all and, to all a good night.

Stevie G.
aka: Bartdog