Re: Rob's Alpine 5 Racecar

To: davidkellogg@hotmail.com, AlpineDriver@aol.com, alpines@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Rob's Alpine 5 Racecar
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 00:49:35 EST
David,
    I returned home and received you call on my answering machine and while
listening to it I had a call from Rob.  I scanned pictures of the car and I
have included them to you as an attachment.  I personally shot the center
right photo in 1981, and the car is currently identical and very, very well
preserved to that photo: please notice it has a forward running bar attached
to the floor from rollbar hoop in this shot.
    It retains its original livery from 1974 as well, and it would likely be
acceptable as an "exposition" car with most Vintage race Clubs, but not
likely legal as a vintage racer.  VARA would likely be the only Club that I
know you might be able to "Vintage" race it, configured as-is.  Note the
tires width in relation to the flared fenderwells: they are slicks riding on
5.5" wheels.  It currently has a set of 7" Centerline wheels with full
treaded 205-60-13 BFGs for wet weather racing.
    Currently, I believe the car should be grandfathered as an SCCA Club
racer running most likely in e-production, and it should also qualify as an
IP (improved production) or possibly an IT (improved touring) racer.
    It is missing its engine and transmission, and the front suspension in it
is a tired stock unit.  The hydraulics are dry and need replacement/rebuild.
It has a non-stock differential in it: possibly a Dana 30, but it certainly
has a posi, and there is one spare axle for it.
    I have both the car and driver's logbooks beginning in 1974, but this
does not cover its "prior-to-flaired-fender" history, per pictures 1 and 2.
Stand by, and Rob and I will attempt to get that info for you.
    This is a very special racer, not because of any particular
accomplishment but because of its incredible zero rust condition and its
original paint and its original "Sports and Imports" livery: this is a
classic find.
Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club   Seattle

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
Sport & Imports Alpine.jpg]