RE: Master Cylinder-Dual

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Master Cylinder-Dual
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:06:29 -0800
James,
  I have not done the install yet myself, but I have toured the local Pick A
Parts for the dual Datsun cylinder. Basically what I found is that they come
in the 3/4" and I believe it was 13/16". I was looking for the smaller size
in the hope of forgoing the servo (which I don't have). I found a really
clean (might be a replacement/rebuild) from a 1977 Datsun 710. The cost less
admission fee, admission fee tax (only if you buy something) environmental
fee and the higher L.A. county sales tax was $9.95. Which means it was about
$12.50 out the door. Assuming that you prefer pedal travel over effort you
probably want the 3/4". The size is cast in on the drivers side of the
cylinder and though not impossible, it is hard to see especially if dirty. I
also got the spacer plate that goes behind the cylinder as if might help on
installation. Most all the old 510, 610 and 710's used this type of cylinder
(but check the size!!!). I THINK the newer cars 310, new 510 etc. had the
sideways rather than top to bottom bolt pattern from what I remember. As a
note of interest the cylinder from the early RX7's looked like they might
work too and are cast steel as opposed to the Datsun aluminium. I think they
were 13/16" though with a side (passenger) line exit. I assume that I will
run the front to the Tiger splitter (blocking the feed to the rear) and then
run a new section of line to the rear. What I don't know is where the
adapters locate best, at the cylinder or at the splitter and for that matter
exactly where to buy them.  I will be following this thread as I  want to
complete the changeover also. All the best, Tom
 Below are some of the responses I got from posing a similar question:

You can get the parts or just the diameter recommendations required from
Doug
Jennings at Tiger Auto in Dayton Ohio. I can't seem to find his number but
if
you don't have it I'll do more searching.
                                                    John L

Tom, go to Dave Bean Engineering in CA for conversion parts for the MC.
I used them for the Datsun 310 MC for my car.  They know brakes and
prices are reasonable.  On my setup, the bolt holes of the Datsun MC did
not match the Tigers, so I elongated the Tigers holes.  Just off by
1/16" or so.  I also used the alum spacer from the original Tiger, and
cut it in half to get the spacing needed for the MC to fit with the
clutch MC.  Dave Bean also supplied an adjustable clevis pin to mate the
MC to the Tiger brake pedal.  Some cut and fit work, but works fine.

I used the Lockheed servo from Rick, but I understand that he does not
have them anymore.  I like them as they are cast iron, and not the soft
alum in the Girling, although you can get the Girling sleeved.

HP Books has a brake book that is the best book that I have seen on
brakes.  Worth the money to understand what you are doing from a
reliable source.  The author is know in the brake industry as a real expert.

Good luck.

Larry