Re: Long Backfire

To: Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Long Backfire
From: "Cullen Bennett" <r51465@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:54:05 -0700
James,
I had a car one time that exhibited similiar symptoms. It was a 350
chevy in an 81 corvette, so things may be different. The full symptoms
were that it ran fair, but with a little sluggishness, while  driving it
normally. However, when romping on it a bit, it would backfire through
the carb consistently. I finally traced it to a couple of flat cam
lobes. One of them was as close to totally gone as could have been done
on a lathe. GM had quite a few cams going bad during that time period.
When you said that you were able to re-adjust the valves on #1 and
regain compression, I would suspect that set of cam lobes first.
Just guessing....
Cullen Bennett
Tempe, AZ