Re: i got ripped off!!!!!!!

To: cvaught@hawaii.rr.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: i got ripped off!!!!!!!
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:58:00 -0800
Chris,

This happens often in internet deals, especially from Yahoo Auctions.
The only way to protect yourself, even there, is to make payments by
credit card, and the card company will get your money back from a fraud
or misrepresentation. This requires a seller who takes credit cards, or
an intermediary like PayPal.com (but they won't protect you much - the
credit card company does if you pay that way), or an "Escrow" firm (on
web sites), that accept payments from one party, but do not pay until
the goods are delivered.  In some circumstances they accept delivery,
inspect the article for being as represented, then forward it to you.
There are fees for these services, and a credit card is still the only
way to pay them and have recourse.

The FBI and the Postal Service (for P.O. Box payments) are investigating
internet fraud, and do send the local police to the guys door to have a
"talk" with him, but they are slow, and interested in the bigger cases
due to limited manpower.

In a recent transaction, in which I felt I was dealing with someone
honest, but couldn't tell for sure, I asked if he would send the
material Certified COD through UPS or FedEx. (insured)  They will only
accept a cashier's check when the package arrives, so the seller is sure
he is getting paid.  You are assured you got delivery of "something".
Here is where you need some faith.  Insisting on street addresses and
verified phone numbers helps.  He chose to us USPS Priority / insured,
as they were handier.  The 2-3 day claim took 10 days, but it did
arrive.

In the case of a trade, you have a problem. I am giving you these other
options for the "next time".  For this time it would pay to have a
friend in the area.  If it's valuable enough for you to go there
personally, watch out.   You already know what kind of a person you are
dealing with.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

http://www.TigersUnited.com/gallery/SteveLaifman.asp

                            _/
                     _/_/_/