resend pilot bearing

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: resend pilot bearing
From: "Bill Lawrence" <billlawrence@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:24:43
Hello Tiger list

My Tiger has been experiencing some odd sounds lately.  With the engine on,
there is an increasing amount of "chatter when I fully depress the clutch.
The Tiger manual points to a faulty pilot bearing.  It further goes on to
state that repairs should be made with the transmission out of the car,
which means the entire engine must come out too.  This seems a little
daunting.

When my father and I replaced the engine after the body was completed, we
actually lifted the body over the drive train (the front suspension was not
fitted at that point), then lifted the drive train into place and secured
it.  It took three men about 4 hours to accomplish.

I have attempted to adjust the clutch at the slave cylinder, but no change.

Does anyone have experience replacing the pilot bearing with engine in the
car?
Is there enough room to detach transmission, remove clutch/flywheel and
access the pilot bearing?
What else could cause clutch chatter?  Should I consider replacing clutch
throw out bearing while I am going through the motions?

Any real or anecdotal experiences are welcome.

Thanks,

Bill Lawrence
1965 Sunbeam Tiger