Re: resend pilot bearing

To: "Bill Lawrence" <billlawrence@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: resend pilot bearing
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 20:52:40 -0500
Bill,
        The first time I had to pull the motor/transmission
in my Tiger for clutch chatter was due to an extreamly worn
front "snout" on the transmission.  The throw out bearing
apparently wore the snout down.  I replaced the snout ,
throwout bearing, clutch, disk and pilot bearing and never
had another problem with the snout of the transmission.
I assume that something was faulty from the factory as there
was not a lot of miles, (maybe 60K) on the Tiger at that time.
Only once did I attempt to change the clutch with the motor
and transmission in the Tiger.  More effort than pulling the motor
and transmission.
        Always replace the throwout bearing any time the clutch
is accessed.  There is now a roller pilot bearing available for the
Ford motor in place of the powdered bronze.  I had one in my 351C
for a year or so and it worked.

At 02:24 PM 1/30/2001, you wrote:
>Hello Tiger list
>
>My Tiger has been experiencing some odd sounds lately.  With the engine on,
>there is an increasing amount of "chatter when I fully depress the clutch.
>The Tiger manual points to a faulty pilot bearing.  It further goes on to
>state that repairs should be made with the transmission out of the car,
>which means the entire engine must come out too.  This seems a little
>daunting.
>
>When my father and I replaced the engine after the body was completed, we
>actually lifted the body over the drive train (the front suspension was not
>fitted at that point), then lifted the drive train into place and secured
>it.  It took three men about 4 hours to accomplish.
>
>I have attempted to adjust the clutch at the slave cylinder, but no change.
>
>Does anyone have experience replacing the pilot bearing with engine in the
>car?
>Is there enough room to detach transmission, remove clutch/flywheel and
>access the pilot bearing?
>What else could cause clutch chatter?  Should I consider replacing clutch
>throw out bearing while I am going through the motions?
>
>Any real or anecdotal experiences are welcome.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill Lawrence
>1965 Sunbeam Tiger

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others