Re: Blown oil filter lines

To: "Rose, Mark G" <mrose@ou.edu>
Subject: Re: Blown oil filter lines
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:24:18 -0500
Mark,
        I have changed my oil lines twice.  Instead of having
new hoses with fittings made, I purchased the 1/2" hose in bulk
, groung/hacksawed off the old clamps and reused the original
fittings.  I use a pair of hose clamps spaced 180 degrees at each
fitting to clamp the hose on.  No leak problems in 30+ years.
The second time I changed the hoses  was because the old hoses were
beginning to look rough on the outside.  I went down to the local
parts store (and hose maker-up place) and determined that I wanted
1/2" hose rated for 400 PSI. This had a layer or two of SS braid in the
hose.  Well, when I got home I checked the hose and the hose was rated for
4000 PSI and had 6 layers of SS braid in it.  It was a REAL bitch
to get the hose on the old fittings. However it works well.
        For the thermostat, I recommend the 180.  The motor
wears less at 180 than 160.  You will warm up faster with the 180
than the 160 thermostat and therefore the cylinder wear will be less.
Apparently your radiator is not adequate for your Tiger to allow the
thermostat to control the temperature.  Therefore if you run hotter
than the installed thermostat, you might as well put in the 180 to
start with and save you motor from excess cylinder bore wear.
        Having a Tiger radiator "rodded out" at the local radiator
shop will do wonders for your cooling.  After 30+ years the radiators
tend to get clogged up. I was running a Tiger radiator in my V6
Alpine and it constantly overheated.  After having the radiator
rodded out, it never overheats now.
        I normally run 180 to 190 degrees in my Tiger with a 351C 4 barrel
motor.  This includes traffic on 95 degree days. In the Florida winter at
outside temperatures of below 65 the thermostat holds a steady 185.
 I had the radiator core replaced with a more modern design. (and 4" wider)
 I also fabricated a 360 degree fan schroud and run a 6 bladed large
 aftermarket fan.

At 10:00 AM 2/27/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Well it was bound to happen. Now that I found out what the Tiger could do
>and adjusted my accelerator pedal to where I had WOT (with a little room for
>engine movement and making sure I wasn't pulling against the carb stop) I
>was out having a little romp. I wasn't even going that fast but had the rpms
>up and pow! in great cloud of white smoke, I blew up the remote oil filter
>hoses. We dumped almost all 6 quarts of oil in about 10 seconds. It looked
>like we were fogging the area for insects. Thankfully nobody was behind us.
>
>We shut off the engine and coasted into a gas station where the worker
>behind the counter watched us with suspicious glares at the "queer british
>car." Called a friend and endured the shame of having to be towed home.
>Unfortunately, the 'bowtie' man across the street was home as we pulled up
>and laughed as he continued washing his Chevy.
>
>Anyway, off to the custom hose shop this morning for steel-braided lines.
>The sad thing is I was just talking about needing to change the oil filter
>two days ago, but this is not the way I wanted to do it.
>
>While I had the radiator hose off, I pulled the thermostat to check the
>rating. It was a 160 degree unit. Knowing Oklahoma weather is fairly hot,
>should I go to 180 or keep the 160? The car has been running between 170 -
>200 degrees but the temperature here has not been above 50 degrees the last
>several weeks.
>

>Thanks
>Mark
>B382000974