Re: Coolant Recovery

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Coolant Recovery
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:55:18 -0800
Dave, et al,

I used a half sized coolant recovery bottle that just fits between the
standard tank and the radiator. As Dave pointed out, the the weakest
link in this vacuum chain is the connections.  I found, however, that
the small tube leading inside the original tank was only held in with an
upset swage. Since it only operated as overflow, it probably didn't
matter.  When you need to hold a vacuum, however, it leaked air in.
This destroys the ability to recover the water.  I used silver solder to
"braze" the tube/neck joint tight.  Still need to have a small bead at
the outer end to allow the clamp to really seal the hose.  Any ideas in
these close quarters?

I liked the overflow recovery system so well that I put ANOTHER one in
parallel under the left fender well, and out of the way of the tire. It
just fits, with "T"s in the coupling hoses, and a "hot glue" seal on the
filler cap.  All fluids enter the one in the engine compartment.

Tried adding a racing overflow catcher (just in case) but it's too tall
to fit.  So, if I fill TWO tanks (really 2 half tanks) I'll probably add
some green to the pavement.  Lucky I've got a good radiator, 6 blade
Ford fan, and dynamite electric fan, when it hits 105 here in traffic.

Part numbers on request.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/