Hot tip for steering rack lube

To: "Tiger News Group List (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot tip for steering rack lube
From: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 00:43:16 -0500
Listers,
I did this and regardless what it called for I squirted in Mobil 1 gear oil
50 weight I think.
Here are the high tech tools required:
One new clamp (zip tie...a good one)
One jack
One Jack stand
One $expensive$ Pet medicine plastic syringe with curved plastic tip ($1.50)
Oil

Jack car up on one side and place Jack stand under car.
Rotate wheels to obtain clean access to the tie rod end of the rubber
bellows.
Remove the clamp
Cut tip of syringe off to enlarge the hole to make it easier to inject the
fluid.
File syringe by sucking up the oil or pull out the plunger and pour oil into
the syringe and then reassemble.
Poke the tip into the end of the bellows by wedging it between the rubber
and the tie rod shaft. The curved tip permits you to inject the fluid with
the syringe upright but still inserted into the bellows.
Repeat as necessary until ....full enough. I used about = to > of a liter in
mine if I remember correctly.
It was a year ago with quite a bit of driving and still no leaks and the
steering is very nice.

I found the pet syringe by accident when I used to CC heads as they have
larger ones that work well for that purpose as well.
Regards,
Tim Ronak
B382000680